With the initiative of National Institute of Technology (NIT) held Press Conference regarding “Progress of Implementation of NEP 2020 at NIT Agartala” at NIT Agartala Transit House, Shyamali Bazar, Agartala on Tuesday (25th July, 2023). Prof. S. K. Patra, Director of National Institute of Technology (NIT) Agartala, brief the media on “Progress of Implementation of NEP 2020 at NIT Agartala” today.
The National Education Policy of India 2020 (NEP 2020), outlines the vision of new education system of India. It was announced on 29th July, 2020. The policy proposes various reforms in Education system from School education to higher education including technical education. It brings a major changes and reforms allowing the institutes turning into more holistic and multidisciplinary education. This education policy revamped the last education policy as introduced in the year 1986.
As per part II of NEP 2020, Higher Education may be transformed from a rigid learning system to a flexible, holistic, and multidisciplinary learning education system to improve the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) as per necessity. For the Sustainable Development Goal, general education should be synchronized with skill and vocational education. To develop the unique capabilities of each learner, NEP -2020 brings out the optimal solution to introducing 6 Ms of NEP, i.e., Multi Entry, Multi Exit, Multi-Mode, Multi Institute, Multidisciplinary, and Multi-Lingual. The NEP envisages to enhance GER at higher education from current 26% to 50% by 2030. Student support programs, i.e., environment, facilities, infrastructure, etc., may be enhanced accordingly.
Aims of NEP2020 :
- Aims to offer equal access to quality education for all students, regardless of their socioeconomic background.
- Emphasizes the integration of vocational training and skill development into the curriculum, as well as the use of technology in education.
- Encourages all colleges and universities to adopt digital solutions and create flexible, comprehensive, and multidisciplinary curricula.
Key fundamental Principles of NEP 2020 :
- Recognizing, identifying, and promoting each student’s unique skills to advance their overall growth.
- Flexibility — allowing students to choose their learning pathways and programmes and, in turn, choose their own paths in life in accordance with their talents and interests.
- For the purpose of preparing students for a diverse world, multidisciplinary and comprehensive education in the social sciences, humanities, and arts is essential.
- Extensive use of technology such as the learning management system in educational planning and management, language barrier removal, and improving access for Divyang students.
- Respect for diversity and respect for the local context in all curricula, pedagogy, and policy
- To ensure that all students may succeed in the educational system and that the institutional environment is sensitive to differences so that high-quality education is accessible to everyone, equity and inclusivity serve as the cornerstone of all educational decisions.
On completion of the 3rd anniversary of NEP 2020, an event is being held on 29th and 30th July 2023 at ITPO, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi with all stakeholders to discuss, deliberate, and share aspects of NEP 2020 and its implementation where the Honourable Prime Minister of India will address the gathering. All Vice-Chancellors, Directors, and many academicians have been invited.
Implementation of NEP 2020 at NIT Agartala is easier due to its autonomous status some aspects of NEP 2020 already are prevailing. In process of NEP 2020 adoption multiple activities have been held.
To sensitize the different features of NEP 2020, following seminar were arranged.
- A webinar on ‘NEP 2020: Impact on Tech Education’ organized by NIT Agartala on 14th August, 2020.
- A one day Webinar on ‘Role of Teachers in National Education Policy (NEP) Awareness, Orientation, Challenges & Responses’ organized at NIT Agartala on 19 March, 2021.
- A Webinar on ‘Future Challenges of Professional Education: Strategic Planning for the next decade in the perspective of NIT Agartala’ held on 29th October, 2021
- A seminar on NEP 2020 and subsequent Signing of MOU between NIT Agartala and Research for Resurgence Foundation on 30th March, 2022.
- One day Workshop on “NEP: Atmanirbhar North East and Contemporary Research” was held at NIT Agartala on 23 September, 2022.
In this regard, some of the initiatives are taken by NIT Agartala are as follows :
- MOU(s) signed between NIT Agartala with different National and international Institution for Credit transfer and Research collaboration;
- Some courses of B. Tech 1 Year students at NIT Agartala are proposed to be taught in Local/Regional Languages;
- For multiple entry, and multiple exit, program regulations and curricula with sufficient numbers of elective (major and minor) are to be implemented, this will be as per national guidelines for more flexible education system;NIT Agartala has been running Dual Degree courses such as BS-MS and BT-MT, where the students have the option of multiple exit.
- MOU may be signed with local Institutes for multi entry and credit transfer program. The MOUs include students of NIT going to other premiere institutes. Plans and process are being made for inward student movement.
- NIT Agartala has registered with Academic Bank of Credits (ABC) to Enable students to learn at their own pace.
The main objectives of ABC :
- To promote student-centric education;
- Focus on leamer-friendly teaching approaches;
- Implement an inter-disciplinary approach;
- Allow students to learn the best courses of their interest;
Functions Of Academic Bank Of Credit (ABC) :
- The Academic Bank will be accountable for opening, closing, and validating the academic accounts of students; very similar to a bank passbook. One can deposit credit to this and eligible to receive degree after acquiring the specified criterion.
- It will carry out tasks such as credit accumulation, credit verification, credit transfer/redemption of students;
- The system permits courses through online and distance mode courses offered by the government and other institutes;
- The validity of these academic credits earned by individual up to seven years and can be accumulated and redeemed at appropriate level;
- The credits can be redeemed and students can seek admission directly in the second year at any university;
- The validity will be up to seven years, hence, students will have to rejoin within seven years;
- The faculty members of NIT Agartala are allowed to participate as well as conduct several Faculty Development Programmes that improve on different skills. The faculty members are encouraged to participate in such FDPS. NIT Agartala has a MOU with multiple institutions that allow the faculty members of NITA to improve skills through Post-Doctoral programme.
- NIT Agartala is in pursuit to improve its ranking at the National and International Levels.NIT Agartala will look forward for participation of ranking at the International level after achieving the minimum international standards.
- Institute Interaction Cell which works on improving the skill development of students. In addition to this, NIT Agartala has several clubs that help to develop the skills among the students as well the youths of the State.
- In order to impart and grow the concept of multi-skill, incubation and start-ups, a cell with its active participation and involvement with students has already been started at NIT Agartala;
- NIT Agartala introduced some certificate course through Rural Development cell including certificate course of local Kokboroc language;
- NIT Agartala has a MoU with the Sonoma State University, California, USA which may enhance the possibility of its participation in GIFT CITY (Gujarat International Financial Tec-City);
- NIT Agartala has some such virtual labs, such as Visual Inference & Machine learning lab, Artificial Intelligence lab, etc. Some more labs are on the anvil. Regular Industry-Institute engagement is being taken up to prepare and update curriculum for courses in emerging areas such as climate effect, Artificial Intelligence (AI);Robotics; Data sciences; Cyber Security 3D printing & Design etc.
- The NITA Senate is evaluating multiple initiatives under NEP 2020 which includes MOU with other organizations, curriculum revamp, joint degree programs, internationalization and etc.
- NIT Agartala is working in mission mode to implement the proposal of NEP 2020 from the academic session 2024-2025.